Sunday, April 11, 2010

Taking the plunge into Kanji

Although there have been many people telling me kanji is not that hard to learn once you actually start, but that didn't stop be from being reluctant. It's taken me months to finally force myself to stare kanji down in the face and declare "I will master you!" Well... maybe not master, but at least try to learn.

So yes, I have begun to study the dreaded kanji. And like my peers have told me, it is not as hard as I anticipated, especially with the help of Heisig. I reviewed his "Remembering the Kana," or raved over more like, so it is only natural I would use his "Remembering the Kanji" as a resource.



Although I have just barely begun, I have high hopes and expectations from this resource. Because I learned the kana so quickly and efficiently, I don't see why the method would be any different for kanji. Actually, I'm pretty sure Heisig wrote "Remembering the Kanji" before "Remembering the Kana." In any case, for the first time I am somewhat excited to start tackling these beasts called kanji.

There is also a great website resource to help review and continue to learn the kanji from "Remembering the Kanji." At http://kanji.koohii.com/ you can sign up to keep track of kanji you learn, and it also lets you review what you've learned already as well. Although I haven't checked it out yet, there are other users that post their "stories" and ways to memorize different kanji for all to see and possibly benefit from. I've heard some people can be unnecessarily erotic, but I believe there is a plug-in you can use to avoid such posts.

So, how many do I know to date you ask?

Fifteen.

Hey gimme a break here I just started! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment