Saturday, April 17, 2010

Progress

Although I have been interested in Japanese culture and attempting to learn the language for the past couple years, it wasn't until this past January that I really sat down, got some resources, and made a genuine attempt to learn.

However, balancing college classes, a part time job, my boyfriend, family, friends and whatever drama at the time, it has been a lot harder than I hoped. But I am still as motivated as ever. After quitting my part-time job (for various practical reasons, I swear, hah), I have been able to put much more effort in teaching myself. I spend almost every day studying something, but sometimes it ends up being every other day, especially these past two weeks where classes are throwing papers left and right.

Anyway, I wanted to list out what I'm using as primary resources!

Kanji learning: "Remembering the Kanji" by James W. Heisig
Kanji practice: Anki, and the Reviewing the Kanji website ~ http://kanji.koohii.com/
Guideline for learning: Genki Integrated Elementary Japanese Course I
Vocabulary practice: Smart.fm
Listening practice: The Genki companion website has great links ~ http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/self.en.html . I also use YouTube! There are great teachers such as:
~~~www.youtube.com/gimmeaflakeman (150 lessons and growing!)
~~~www.youtube.com/thatjapanesegirl
~~~www.youtube.com/misshannahminx
~~~www.youtube.com/bumnumba1 (I can't help it, but learning Japanese with a teacher that is drunk and profane is absolutely hilarious)
Grammar, phrases, etc: The Daily Yo-ji ~ http://www.thedailyyoji.blogspot.com/ . And Maggie-sensei! ~ http://www.maggiesensei.com/jp/
Sentence practice: Lang-8 ~ www.lang-8.com


Anyhow, those are the primary sources I like to use as much as possible. There are more websites I enjoy visiting for more cultural/news related information, but I think that's due for another entry. ^_^V

3 comments:

  1. Those are all great choices! We used all of the Genki books in my beginning and intermediate Japanese classes and I love them. We all became very attached to Takeshi and Mary, haha. I also use Smart.fm and Lang-8 in my spare time, they're fantastic. I'm definitely going to check out some of those other ones (Drunk and profane?! Yes!).

    I had more of a point to make, but yeah, just keep up with it. It gets easier eventually. Not the Kanji though...! =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that the Genki textbooks stay helpful! Haha, good old Mary & Takeshi.

    Thanks for the support though, I will do my best! Especially with those darn kanji... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, good going. I have a cousin who has stuck with Japanese since the early teens, and has been there a few times, it remains a passion. Although in her case, English would be more of an asset professionnaly.

    ReplyDelete