Monday, March 29, 2010

Smart.fm

There are many resources I have found on the internet that help make learning Japanese easy and somewhat fun! One such website I have been using more frequently as of late is Smart.fm.

I think the website is really neat in that you can create your own lists to study, or study of other lists created by difference users. In my case I was very lucky to find what I was looking for, and that is vocabulary lists for the chapters in my Genki text book.

What is special is that there are a few different programs you can use, which includes iKnow!, Drill Beta and BrainSpeed. I believe (though I could be mistaken) that the first two are alternates for each other, which BrainSpeed is a way to test how well you react to words you learn.

More into iKnow!, which is what I primarily use. When you open it up it will tell you if it is time for you to study. There is a calendar included that shows how many times you studied in one day and what days. The further along you get with a list of words, the more spaced out the program wants you to study, so that you have optimum memorization. How many times I have tried to memorize vocabulary in one sitting, just to forget it in two days I can't even count. But this prevents you from practicing them all in one go.

Here is a screen cap:


When you begin studying a list in Japanese, you have the option of choosing romanji mode, kana mode, kanji focus mode and full mode. I think this is awesome because I'm officially done with relying on romanji, but have yet to tackle kanji, so I am able to study in all kana.



Long story short, I love this website. I think it is way better than normal old flash cards, because when you use the iKnow! program, it revisits words you have problems with constantly. And not only does it test your Japanese to English translation, but English to Japanese and English to written Japanese (where you type in the word itself). It's a great learning tool and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment